Thursday, October 28, 2010

New monitor for Dell E520

I've been using a 17" Dell CRT monitor on one of my computers for the last 8 years and it has never given me any problems. But, for the size of screen, the monitor itself takes up a huge amount of deskspace which, I believe, is also impeding the wifi signal from my router which is right beside it.
Sadly, it's time to say goodbye so I bought an Acer 21.5" X223HQBBMD TFT screen which cost me just €119. Maximum resolution is 1920x1080 which is quite a bit larger than the 1280x1050 on the old CRT.
Set it up today and it works perfectly for both Windows 7 and Ubuntu with the max resolution easily attainable.
Haiku R1A2, however, was a different story.
When I booted to Haiku first, I was using Haiku's Unified nVidia driver with which I was able to get a 1280x1050 resolution on the CRT.
Now on the new screen, it seemed to fill the whole screen but was still giving a 1280x1050 resolution..........but I wanted more.
Now my nVidia GeForce 7300 LS has no problem with the 1920x1080 res but is there a driver available for Haiku?
There are two other nVidia drivers in Haikuware so, first, I tried Haiku nVidia TNT/GF driver.
With this I got a maximum resolution of 1680x1050 which didn't fill the whole screen presumably because of the lower aspect ration (1.6 vs 1.78). Nevertheless, it is a whole lot sharper than it was originally with the 1280x1050.
Then I tried the nVidia TNT/GF 3D driver which turned out to be no better in terms of resolution.
OK, not a complete success but Haiku looks exceptionally good on this monitor even if it doesn't fill the whole screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment