Sunday, October 24, 2010

Update on my iTeleport experience on iPad

Yes, I've been playing around a lot with this great, although expensive, tool that I posted about yesterday.
Up to now, I've been able to see and control Desktops on three different computers with a range of OS platforms. So, on my MacBook, Snow Leopard works very well on the iPad particularly in TouchScreen Mode.
On the Dell E520 Desktop, I can easily connect to Windows 7 (TightVNC Server), Ubuntu 10.10 (Remote Desktop) and Haiku R1A2 (VNCServer-BeOS).
All work well here, too, with the exception of Haiku which is slow and does not work at all in TouchScreen Mode.
On my EeePC 901 Netbook, I've connected with Ubuntu 10.10 (Remote Desktop) and Haiku R1A2 (VNCSever-BeOS). Again, Ubuntu worked almost perfectly but I was surprised to find that Haiku was much faster than from the Dell E520. Indeed, it wasn't much slower than Ubuntu on the same machine. Unfortunately, TouchScreen Mode still didn't work in Haiku but, even so, from the EeePC it has now become highly usable on the iPad.
I just cannot even begin to explain this unexpected improvement.
However, one thing that doesn't work for me in any of the OSes I've connected to on my iPad is dragging. Although tap-tap-drag on the touchscreen is supposed to induce dragging on the original, this doesn't work for me.
This can create many problems as, for example, having lots of windows open and not being able to move any of them out of the way.
Another problem I had in getting the above all set up was that while on my Dell E520, remote desktop in Ubuntu 10.10 seems to start st boot without any prompting from me, on the EeePC, it took me a while to realize that I needed to ensiure it started by checking the Remore Desktop app in System>>Preferences>>Startup Applications
I also tried the VNC Viewer available in Haikuware. I tried this in Haiku R1A2 on both the Dell and the EeePC and in both cases the performance was the same -- essentially unusable. On both machines, the first time it's run, you'll be asked for an IP address and a password (of the server), then it tries to connect (I tried to connect to my MacBook). I actually got to see past of the MacBook screen but then it froze. On reboot, when I tried to start VNC Viewer it errored out. Even uninstalling an renstalling did not rectify this problem.
The debug error shown was (in both cases): "Loaded symbols for /boot/system/lib/libmedia.so [tcsetpgrp failed in terminal_inferior: Invalid Argument."
I've thought of deleting libmedia.so assuming that's it's corrupt and hoping that it would regenerate itself on reboot. However, when I tried to take it out of the /boot/system/lib folder I was given a dire warning that Haiku may not boot without it, so I desisted.
However, I did temporarily move it to the Desktop and tried to start VNC Viewer to see would it be better behaved. However, it wouldn't start because it was missing.........guess what?
So, now I'm stuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment