Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Haiku reinstalled

Look, this is a long, rambling story that's likely to be completely uninteresting to anybody but me. So, if you don't want to be bored, don't read this. On the other hand..............
Well, Haiku R1A2 had been running very well for me on my Dell E520 to such an extent that I was largely using it as my primary box. Yes, it doesn't have Flash or Skype but there's a lot it does have even as an alpha version and it's fast.
Also, I've enjoyed learning how to use this OS.
The other day, I had a problem running VNCViewer in Haiku apparently because of some problem with /boot/system/lib/libmedia.so
So, I decided to move it to the Desktop of Haiku_nightly that I have installed on a separate partition on the same machine. However, after removing it VNCViewer still didn't work. So, I moved the libmedia.so file back to its original folder or at least I thought I did.
When next I tried to boot to Haiku R1A2, it got to the Desktop and then froze, each time, when just two of the many icons had appeared.
Nothing worked so I couldn't check what the problem was.
Back into Haiku_nightly and I took its libmedia.so and transferred it to the /boot/system/lib/ folder on Haiku (which was still accessible from the other partition. However, this didn't allow me to boot Haiku.
Nothing for it but to reinstall but this time I decided I'd go for a nightly which should be more advanced.
So, I installed Haiku gcc2 hybrid r39132 and the install went fine.
Then I found that this particular nightly had some minor problems which I just couldn't get used to. These included:
1. After setting up the Mail Server to handle my Gmail account, which worked fine in R1A2, I ended up getting the error "Error while reading account manifest: no destination directory exists"
2. The clock in the Deskbar has no 24 hour option and, I'm afraid, I just can't get used to this AM/PM thing
3. I couldn't get the Network Status or Process Controller applets to stay in the Deskbar

Incidentally, I also found that VNCServer for Haiku doesn't work well on the iPad actually it doesn't work at all in R1A2 but does in later nightlies) in that there's no mouse movement in Haiku through iTeleport. On the other hand, VNCServer (the older BeOS one) does work in R1A2 and has no mouse cursor problems.

Anyway, I went ahead and clean-installed Haiku R1A2 and everything went well. Indeed, I should mention that the mail status box which I had configured to be ALWAYS present had stopped showing up about a month ago. However, the clean install got it going again.
One problem I had in getting things back to the way they were was that the registered version of Synthetic (app installer) which I re-downloaded from email that the guy sent me from Poland, was missing some buttons such as Install. So, even though it worked, I couldn't actually do anything with it.
So, I looked in Haikuware and there was a new Pro Free version there that I installed and used it to install some stuff. Apparently, there's supposed to be a new version of Synthetic Pro available today although I haven't seen it yet. I don't know if I'll have to register again or whether the guy will send me an updated version. Let's see.
One app I installed from Synthetic was GreenTube which allows you to download and then watch YouTube videos on Haiku (remember there's no flash and I'm not sure what the HTML5 situation is). However, while it worked perfectly the last time I downloaded it, this time the GUI was missing some features and urls were not accepted by it.
I wonder it this something to do with the Synthetic upgrade? Again, let's see.

One thing I learned while configuring my Haiku was that if there's to be more than one command at the bottom of /boot/home/config/boot/UserBootscript, then there MUST be an "&" (without quotes) at the end of each command line otherwise only the first command will function at startup. I now use the UserBootScript to launch LaunchBox, Workspaces, Network Status and the Demo Clock at startup.
Also, I wanted to autostart VNCServer at boot, so this was no more than copying the file from /boot/VNCServer-4.0-BeOS-AGMS-1.21/Installables/Move vncpasswd and vncserver Here to install them/ to /boot/home/config/boot/launch/

No comments:

Post a Comment