Saturday, February 19, 2011

Autologin in FreeBSD

Now that FreeBSD is becoming less and less mysterious to me, I'm starting to get a little choosy.
One thing is that it takes quite some time to boot. Not only that but I have to punch in my password on every boot. As I'm the only one using this computer, it should be easy enough to automate the login and thereby save some precious booting seconds.
And indeed, it is easy. Just follow the guide here.
Actually, as it's not too long, I'll reprint it here:

Create a /etc/pam.d/gdm-autologin file with the following contents:

auth required pam_permit.so
account required pam_nologin.so
account required pam_unix.so
session required pam_permit.so

Once PAM is configured to allow GDM automatic logins, edit /usr/local/etc/gdm/custom.conf, and set AutomaticLoginEnable=true, and AutomaticLogin equal to the username for which you wish to enable automatic logins. Both of these properties should be placed under the [daemon] heading. For example:

[daemon]
AutomaticLoginEnable=true
AutomaticLogin=paul

Obviously change the username in the last line unless your name happens to be the same as mine.
I was a little surprised that I didn't have to enter my password anywhere but, then again, I couldn't have had access to the Desktop to make this change unless I had entered via the password.
Now although this worked perfectly for me, I did come across what looks like a very different method to achieve the same end. As I haven't tried this at all, I can't comment but it looks interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment