Tuesday, March 01, 2011

FreeBSD upgrade to 8.2-Release

Maybe I'm finally getting the hang of FreeBSD because today I upgraded from 8.2-RC2 to 8.2-Release in less than 5 minutes AND without burning any disks.
This really is more like it. Nearly every other update or upgrade that I've done has taken hours and even days.
Perhaps a large part of this was that I had just recently upgraded all of my ports and running

pkg_version -vl "<"

showed nothing needed to be upgraded.
For the upgrade, I merely followed the direction given in the FreeBSD Update section of this page.
As I was upgrading from 8.2-RC2, I needed nothing more than the following sequence:
# freebsd-update upgrade -r 8.2-RELEASE
# freebsd-update install
Reboot
# freebsd-update install
Reboot

and everything worked fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment