Friday, March 25, 2011

Sound with Creative SB X-Fi in FreeBSD

Even though I came across a 4Front site indicating that this sound card is not supported by OSS (at least not in 2009), I was able to get sound on my Dell Dimension 9200 using FreeBSD 8.2
However, al was not well as I always had to run
#soundon
before I got any sound.
Worse, sometimes (maybe 50% of time) after running the soundon command, the whole system froze and I had to hard reboot.
Well, including *oss_enable="YES"* in /etc/rc.conf resolved that problem.
So, now I have sound without running the soundon command and I've had no freezing up to this.
Nevertheless, this thread suggests that freezing might well be a problem. Unfortunately the post remains unanswered, so I could be in trouble if it does start freezing. Let's see.

2 comments:

  1. Have you had any further trouble with this (i.e. random freezing) or has it remained fairly stable. I've just recently installed FreeBSD 8.2 (I'm a FreeBSD noob) and I'm hoping to get sound through my SB X-Fi too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I have not used FreeBSD on this particular machine since getting it set up -- I'm spoiled for choice so don't get to use everything with regularity-- so can't really answer your question.
    Your best bet is to post on the FreeBSD forum (http://forums.freebsd.org/) where there are some very knowledgable people who may be able to help you.

    ReplyDelete