Friday, June 24, 2011

Getting ready to install OS X on my EeePC 901

Yes, that's right. I going to try to get Snow Leopard operating on my resurrected netbook.
My intention is to use a combination of this guide as well as this Lifehacker post.
Of course, I can't forget that I actually installed OS X on a Dell Dim 9200 last year and posted about it here.
Now, the first thing I needed to do was create a new primary partition of 6.5 GB in size, not so easy as it sounds due to the extreme space constraints of this little box.
As I had an empty partition of the 4GB drive, I had to move something in there, thus creating empty space on the 16GB drive.
I chose the 4.2GB LinuxMint / partition which was on the primary /dev/sdb3.
To move it I used, for the first time on an operating OS, the Copy/Paste function in GParted.
This was extremely easy to use. Copying was essentially instantaneous and the paste took just a little more than 2 minutes.
Note that before the copy, I used GParted to reduce the size of the LinuxMint / partition to a little less than the size of the available partition on /dev/sda1 as a precaution but I have no idea if this was necessary or not.
Before trying to boot from the new partition, I went into Ubuntu, mounted the new partition and changed the /dev/ for the root partition from /dev/sdb3 to /dev/sda1. Additionally, I made what I thought were appropriate changes in Ubuntu's /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
But it wouldn't boot.
When I checked the UUID of the new partition using

# blkid /dev/sda1

(see here for details on this and other commands for UUID identification) I found that the new and the old LinuxMint / partitions had the same UUID.
So, to change the UUID, I used this command (see post #2)
# uuidgen | xargs tune2fs /dev/hdaX -U
Next I used the new UUID in /boot/grub/grub.cfg and now it booted.

No comments:

Post a Comment