Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Well, what'dya expect from an Alpha?

Yes, I've been experimenting with Ubuntu 11.10 Alpha2 on my EeePC 901 netbook for a few days and in general it works well apart from some relatively minor annoyances.
However, this morning when I booted to Ocelot, something looked wrong.
First, the Unity Panel had changed back to its default status with Firefox, the Libre Office suite as well as Ubuntu One all present, all of which I always eliminate, while Chromium-browser, terminal and Gedit were missing.
In addition, the mouse didn't work, nor did the keyboard nor the touchpad.
I was able to get the mouse working by just unplugging it and plugging it in again but the other input devices remained dead.

After a reboot, there was a pause when this message appeared:

The disk drive for / is not ready yet or is not present. Continue to wait or press S to skip mounting or M for manual recovery.

That's strange because /dev/sdb3 which should be mounted as / certainly is present.
Anyway, I hit the S key and booting continued for a very short time but stopped at this point:
modem-manager(4231: . Loaded plugin Generic


In an attempt to remove this problem, I downloaded today's Ocelot daily build and installed it on the netbook without reformatting /home.
This quickly got me back to a working Ocelot.
So, far I've been able to update/upgrade without problems as well as re-install all my favorite stuff such as Chromium-browser, Yakuake and Conky.

I cannot explain what happened here and believe it's not worthwhile trying as, well, I am playing with an Alpha that I update/upgrade at least once every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment