Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Ubuntu 11.10 doesn't like nVidia GeForce 7300 LE

Yes, my Dell E520, which is about 5 years old, has a nVidia GeForce 7300 LE gfx card.
I had some problems using Ubuntu 11.04 with this card and needed to install a legacy nVidia driver for full functionality.
Well, I upgraded from Natty to Ocelot last week and just could not get a functional Desktop.
In general, what happened on boot was I was unable to progress past the login page. After logging in, I was brought straight back to the same page.
Searching through the logs and messages showed that the video card just was not happy.
I tried almost all drivers I could lay my hand on including nouveau, NVIDIA-Linux-x86-285.05.09, NVIDIA-Linux-x86-275.28  and NVIDIA-Linux-x86-270.41.06 but none worked.
So, on this machine I went back to Natty which works fine once the old driver NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.30 is installed.
The comments to this post comments on the 7300 LE giving problems with 11.10 but no solution, other than buying a more up-to-date card is suggested.


In contrast, upgrading to Ocelot from Natty on my Dell 9200 went perfectly. This machine now has a nVidia GeForce 210 card and I just used the nVidia-current driver which I believe is 285.05.09

2 comments:

  1. Hi PaulFXH! Thanks for giving your opinion. I had the same problem in 11.04 and I was waiting for some advice... so, since the bug with 7300 LE cards isn't fixe yet, I won't upgrade to ubuntu 11.10.

    But if you (or others who read this post) have problems with the same card, you could try installing Unity 2D. I had some problems with GeForce 7300 using ubuntu 11.04 and it's the only solution that works! :) Take a look: http://askubuntu.com/questions/21686/how-do-i-install-and-switch-to-the-unity-2d-desktop

    I wish someone could fix this bug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I installed 11.04 and had no problems at all. I searched for drivers and I installed both. Start Ubuntu in Classic mode before you install all of the nvidia drivers that are listed in the driver download manager. After you restart the computer the second time after installing the second driver. You can take it out of Classic mode. Works fine for me.

      Delete