Thursday, December 22, 2011

Is your ISP throttling torrents?

I found out yesterday that my new ISP seems to be doing just that.
I was downloading the Ubuntu 11.10 iso by the recommended torrent route when I found my super high d/l rate (more than 1 MB/s) suddenly reduced to a remarkably steady 9.4-9.8 kB/s.
As the iso is a 700 MB download, this would have taken almost a full day.
Now, that's ridiculous!
However, getting over the problem is very easy as explained here.
I was using µTorrent so to resolve this issue required:
On my Mac, go to the upper panel and open µTorrent > Preferences > BitTorrent
Then in the Outgoing Encryption section, check the Force radio button.
And that's it.
In my case, after doing this my 700 MB d/l completed in less than 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment