Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Ubuntu 12.04 with nVidia GeForce 7300 LE gfx card

Some time ago, I posted about the difficulties I had when installing Ubuntu 11.10 on this machine (Dell E520 with nVidia GeForce 7300 LE card).
It seemed that this card and whatever driver I was using ( see earlier post for details) just didn't get along with Unity. Everything just froze.
So, I never got to install a workable 11.10 on this box.
Nevertheless, undeterred, today I tried the beta2 of Ubuntu 12.04 which I installed from a usb-key (I do a lot of installing but haven't installed from CD/DVD in maybe a year. That's a thing of the past).
The nVidia driver offered by Ubuntu was the latest one 295.40.
Guess what, everything worked just perfectly, no freezing, compiz and emerald themes.
And you know, I had it on my list of things to buy to get a more modern graphics card for this old machine. But now, I've saved an unnecessary expense.

No comments:

Post a Comment