Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Arch Linux up and running on Dell

Well, I spent quite some time trying to install Arch Linux, configuring it and trying to get the GUI (wm) working.
Howvever, I kept running into a problem where I had updated all my files and apps for 2.6.24-ARCH but the 2.6.22-ARCH was still running.
I couldn't figure this out and I posted to the forum about it who just told me to reboot. However, when I rebooted, I would get a "can't load /lib/modules/2.6.22-ARCH/" message. The reason for this is that what i had was /lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH but the kernel was calling for an earlier version.
Then it struck me -- when I did my pacman -Syu update, I had forgotten to send the updated kernel files (kernel26.img and vmlinuz26) to the /boot/arch/ folder on the Ubuntu partition.
Interestingly though, these files stayed with the very same name despite having been significantly updated.
Anyway, when I copied these files over, everything came good.
However, this was a very silly and careless mistake.
Since then I have gotten kde running in ArchLinux, Opera 9.26, yakuake, Amarok. So things looking an awful lot better.
However, haven't yet gotten around to installing fusion-icon or AWN. That's more excitement to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment