Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Rebuilding madwifi driver in Hardy and Foresight.

Today I found that wifi wouldn't work on either Ubuntu or Foresight on the MacBook. This may have been due to an upgraded kernel in both cases.
In any event, I had to rebuild the driver for the new kernels.
In fact, in both cases, this went extremely well and only took less than 5 minutes in either case.
Again, I used this guide but in fact only a very small part of it was necessary.
For Ubuntu, I did this:

sudo apt-get install build-essential subversion automake autoconf
sudo svn co http://svn.madwifi.org/madwifi/trunk madwifi
cd madwifi
sudo make (Yes, I DID have to use Sudo as without it, got permission errors)
sudo make install


and then rebooted with the ethernet cable disconnected and wifi was connected immediately the desktop appeared.
In Foresight, I used the same command lines other than the first one (apt-get not known in Foresight) and again after a reboot wifi was connected quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment