Sunday, November 16, 2008

Attempts to get an internet connection on native Haiku

I really would like to use this extremely fast Haiku on my EeePC as my primary browsing tool. But, the network cards on this machine are not yet supported by Haiku.
However, there is an untested driver available aimed at overcoming this problem, so I tried it out.
Unfortunately, it didn't work looking like it's completely dead.
Here's what I did:
1. Downloaded the driver in Ubuntu and unzipped. Then, in Haiku, mounted the Ubuntu /home and copied the driver over. Then added it to /boot/common/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/bin and symlinked this to /boot/common/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/dev/net. Now I rebooted, but no network adapters showed up in Feather>>Preferences>>Network
2. Same as above but this time tried /boot/beos/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/bin and the equivalent ...../dev/net folder. Again, no adapter.
3. This time I copied over the driver.zip file from Ubuntu and/boot/common/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/bin unzipped (or expanded it in Haiku). Tried placing the driver as before but nothing doing.
4. Copied over the driver source code jamfile into the /boot/common/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/bin directory and tried to build the driver using jam. But, it seems the Haiku build tools are not available in my install.

This is disappointing but I'm going to keep going on this. Let's see how long it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment