Sunday, December 14, 2008

Progress -- but still not there: Syllable on EeePC

Still following the guidelines provided in this thread (Flemming) but it's like climbing Everest on your knees, if not more difficult.
The biggest problem I had up to now was the failure of the unzip command to completely allow extraction of the Syllable.ISO to the folder where the image of the /dev/sdb7 was mounted (sdb7 is where I intended to install Syllable on the EeePC).
It always stopped after 2-3 minutes without any error message (2 or 3 times I got a seg fault and once the computer actually went into reboot when the extraction stopped.
Now I had gotten some advice that perhaps typing "sync" every few seconds during the extraction might help.
Tried it, and the very first time, it seemed to work --- I was over the moon -- the breakthrough I'd been looking for.
However, the Syllable folders (Applications, Documents etc) were not in the Image folder to where I had mounted the /dev/sdb7 image (named Image). Instead a new folder had been created called Sy (on the Desktop) and this is where all the Syllable stuff had been extracted to. Well, I have absolutely no idea how this happened. Was it a typo (Sy being the first two letters of Syllable)? In any case, I deleted this and started afresh.
First thing I did was to start using my Philips 160 GB external (usb) to transfer image files from the EeePC to the Dell and back again.
This worked very well as far as I can tell without, up to now, having successfully completed the mission. Assuming this worked, it overcomes nicely the lack of ssh (or scp) between the two computers. Of course, I could also have used a USB key but I really didn't have one available for this.
Nevertheless, in practically he whole day trying, not once, despite typing "sync" almost continuously, did extraction go to completion.
But what's the problem? Surely, this is just what happens during a normal CD.ISO install so why does it keep failing here?
So, the only thing I could think of that was different was the fact that I was unzipping to a folder in which a disk image was mounted.
So, instead of

unzip ISO/Packages/base/ Image/

I created a folder on the Desktop (stuff) and unzipped to that. This went perfectly, no problems.
So, now I needed to get it to my disk-image mount point. So, for this I did
/Desktop/stuff$ cp -R * ../Image

and this transferred everything to the image mount point.

Now I just had to get the image back to the EeePC, copy it to /dev/sdb7, install grub to this partition and boot.
Getting it back to the EeePC was just
cp eeepc.img uhd/

where this was done from the Desktop and uhd was the folder to which the Philips device partition (used to transport between the two computers) was mounted.
Then I mounted this partition on the EeePC with
sudo mount /media/sdc1

However, I admit to being worried about this as the entry in /etc/fstab assumes a vfat filesystem. Well, maybe it's OK for the partition itself to have a FAT32 fs as long as the disk image inside it remains with a AFS fs.
Finally, I did the copying with
sudo dd if=/media/sdc1/eeepc.img of=/dev/sdb7

Next I had to install Grub on this partition.
I did this in a terminal with
# grub-install /dev/sdb7

The printout from this said clearly that Grub had been successfully installed to /dev/sdb7 (which it also referred to as (hd1,6). I later did a
# grub-install hd1,6

just to be sure. be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment