Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Puppy Linux on the EeePC

I've done just a little looking around on Puppy and there is certainly a lot to like. It takes up 443 MB on one of my partitions on the 16 GB drive so is still very small (about midway between Senryu and Haiku).
However, there's something very messed up with the network connection in Puppy 4.1.2 on my EeeC 901.
First, ethernet sorta works now and again even though there didn't seem to be anything wrong during the setup except for the occasional appearance of an error stating that "#SIOCADDRT: File exists".
At present, I've no idea what this means but here's a thread about it (still don't know what it means even after reading this, though).
Nevertheless, ethernet does work a lot of the time and even boots up with ethernet available.
OTOH, wifi I can't get to work at all.
In particular, when I run it in DHCP, it chooses a netmask (255.255.0.0) which is different from my normal netmask 255.255.255.0) and picks IP that is just weird (169.141.12.97) or something like that.
I found however that in iwconfig, the ra0 comes up with the encryption key "off". But, after running

iwconfig ra0 key open

iwconfig comes up showing the encryption key in its entirety. So, this looked very promising but still I couldn't ping anything.
I don't know if this is a problem with Puppy 4.1.2 because this guy reports that Puppy 4.1.1 is able to very quickly setup wifi on the EeePC 901.
I'm going to try this right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment