Friday, December 19, 2008

Recording a DVD from a .xvid.avi file

Well, it's Margaret's 10th birthday on Sunday and I was asked to "get" a copy of a new movie Madagasgar 2.
So, I "got" it but it was in the .xvid.avi format (after unraring which was easy).
As I did this initially on the MacBook, I only found this tutorial on how to make a DVD out of file.
Although it worked fine, it was complicated and long (about 4 hours). Plus, even though the video file played fine on the computer, when I recorded it, as I had only used iVCD on a trial basis, the actual screen was "watermarked" with an annoyingly large announcement about this only being a demo version of the conversion software.
Well, that's what I get for straying away from linux.
So, back I came and found this guide. Now, this worked perfectly for me and took maybe 2.5 hours in all.
Two points though:
-- This command

mencoder -oac copy -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -vf scale=720:576,harddup \
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=5000:keyint=15:aspect=16/9 \
-ofps 25 -o your_video.mpg your_video.avi

gave some problems until I increased the size of my terminal.
-- Don't forget to slow down the write speed for the DVD by inserting "-speed=1" in the command like this
growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvdrw -speed=1 -dvd-video ./dvd/

No comments:

Post a Comment