Thursday, September 10, 2009

Problems mounting digital camera in Linux

I've used various digital cameras on my EeePC 901 in both Ubuntu and Linux Mint without ever having had a problem.
But over the last few days I got a "Don't have privileges to mount this volume" error when I plugged in my camera.
Normally, I can overcome this type of problem by modifying /etc/fstab PROVIDED I know what filesystem is in use. For a camera, I don't -- so how do I overcome this problem?
Luckily I came across this thread which explained everything.
The problem in my case was that, because I had been doing a lot of work with USB keys, I had added several new lines to /etc/fstab including /dev/sdc1, /dev/sdc2, /dev/sdd1, /dev/sdd2, /dev/sdd4.
It appears that the camera on being inserted was assigned one of these device names (probably /dev/sdc1 as no USB keys were inserted). It was this that caused the permissions error for the camera. Commenting out all of these lines resolved the problem.
I could, however, also mounted the camera with this command

# mount -t auto /dev/sdc1 /media/camera/

No comments:

Post a Comment