Saturday, August 21, 2010

Converting .wma files to .mp3

I've posted on this before where I displayed a nice linux script that can be used to convert any number of .wma files to .mp3.
However, then I heard that iTunes can do this so I investigated.
Actually, although I couldn't get iTunes on my MacBook to carry out this conversion, it worked perfectly in iTunes in Windows7.
I didn't even have to make any changes to the iTunes>>Edit>>Preferences>>Advanced other than making sure that the "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" box was checked.
Then it's just a matter of File>>Add Folder to Library and the copying and transforming starts. However, this can take some time. I added 62 GB of music from an external harddisk to iTunes on my Windows 7 machine and this took almost 24 hours. About 70% of the music files were in .wma format.
However, although I had all my music in .mp3 format (or actually it was AAC) on my Windows machine but I wanted it on my Mac.
But this is not difficult.
Just find out the IP address of the Windows machine (type ipconfig at a DOS prompt) then on the Mac, open Finder>>Go>>Connect to Server and type in smb://192.168.1.xx where 192.168.1.xx is the IP of the Windows machine.
Now you'll be asked to input a username and password of the Windows account that you want to open on your Mac. In my experience, you HAD to have a password. In cases where I had no password and entered none, I was told that my password had expired. The only way I could overcome this hitch was to create a password.
Once you're into the Windows account, you can copy stuff from it to the Mac or add stuff from the Mac to the Windows folders.
More details are available here.

No comments:

Post a Comment