Saturday, December 31, 2011

FTP connection from MacBook to Haiku client

OK, my last post of 2011 and this deals with yet another advance in the ever more impressive Haiku OS.
I'm using a recent nightly hrev43583 which works perfectly in everything I've tried so far.
Came across some recent comments and correspondence on FTP Positive in Haikuware which is a FTP client for Haiku. Seems to work for some people but not for others.
First, I needed to set up an FTP server on my Mac (OS X 10.7.2) for which, since no FTP server is now available in System Configuration > Sharing, I used this terminal command (as root):

launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ftp.plist
Next I downloaded and installed FtpPositive-1.0-alpha3, which put a folder of the same name in /boot.
Launching the FtpPositive executable within this folder opened a GUI which requires you to enter just four data:
1. A name for the server (which it calls bookmarks -- and of course the name can be anything you want).
2. The address of the server (in my case this was 192.168.0.16)
3. User name on the Mac
4. User password on the Mac

Then I click on the Connect button in the GUI and contents of my home folder on the Mac appeared.
From here, I could easily download whatever I wanted to the Haiku Desktop.

I downloaded photos, .avi videos, a pdf file and music in various forms (.flac, .m4a and .mp3). Strangely I couldn't get any of the music to play in either Media player or VLC. Don't understand this, but I'll look into this.
Everything else displayed fine although the quality of the photos didn't look great (again something to be investigated).
To read the book (pdf) that I FTP'ed over, I used BePDF for the first time and it works great. A very nice reader.

The client also easily connected to the Mac when I chose the Mac's wifi connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment