Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Ethernet now works on DSL 4.4.12 on EeePC901

For some time I had been lamenting the absence of the atl1e driver from DSL 4.4.12 having acquired the rt2860sta driver as I describe here.
So, I tried this guide which I had been able to use successfully in TinyCoreLinux (see here).
However, I ran into a problem when I tried this command

sudo KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC=1 make

as it seems that KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC=1 was interpreted here as a command whereas it is in fact just a switch.
However, arranging the command like this worked fine
sudo make KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC=1

I have to admit that I'm not sure what the KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC=1 switch actually does and I even tried just a simple "make" and that seemed to work too although quite a few errors were produced. Additionally, the subsequent "make install" seemed to error out as it was extremely short and complained about some .gz file.
Nevertheless, in both instances a atl1e.o file was produced in the ~/src directory where I did the compile. When I moved this to /lib/modules/2.4.31/kernel/drivers/net/ I was able to run the following commands and everything came right:
# depmod -a
# modprobe atl1e
# ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.8 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255 up
# route add default gw 192.168.1.254

I created a script with these commands and added it to /opt/bootlocal.sh and now the eth0 interface (along with the ra0 interface) starts at boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment