Sunday, November 06, 2011

Installing Ubuntu Oneiric (11.10) on EeePC 901

I've already posted on installing Ubuntu Oneiric to two other computers here and this time I tried it on my little EeePC 901 which is closing in on 4 years old but still performs amazingly.
As I multiboot this machine, I use a root partition size of just 4.2 GB. However, this was insufficient to upgrade to Oneiric from Natty for which a minimum root partition size of 4.5GB is needed.
Now, the only other OS on the 16GB drive is FreeBSD which can't be handled by Gparted.
Therefore, the only option to get Ubuntu 11.10 onto this machine was to install from USB key but without formatting the /home partition.
Actually, how to do this is very well documented and gave me no problems at all.
Oneiric worked fine and, in contrast to the nVidia GeForce 7300 LE on my Dell 520, the graphics card on this little box (Intel 945GME Express) gave no problems and 3D effects presented no problems.
One surprising finding, however, was that Emerald was not available so my favorite window decorator was out of reach.
Luckily, I found this post which describes what's needed to get it working.
For completeness, I'll outline the required steps here:

Run these commands
sudo apt-get install libwnck-dev libwnck1.0-cil-dev git automake libtool intltool libdecoration0 libdecoration0-dev

git clone git://anongit.compiz.org/fusion/decorators/emerald
cd emerald
git checkout -b compiz++ origin/compiz++
git reset --hard 0936b42efbc4247d1af16d5043f9a7a36ed8063a
./autogen.sh
./configure --prefix=/usr/local
make && sudo make install
ldconfig
After this, it was easy to start Emerald with the usual "emerald --replace" command which I included in a script to start at boot.

Actually, I've also found another of my staples didn't work initially. This is Gparted.
However, after I used Synaptic to reinstall gparted, libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a and libgtkmm-3.0-1,
everything worked fine.
Now that's strange and makes me just a little concerned that perhaps Oneiric is not quite ready for prime time. Time will tell.




No comments:

Post a Comment